Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Carlos Schenck, M.D., Author of "Paradox Lost: Midnight in the Battleground of Sleep and Dreams"

I spoke with Dr. Schenck today, and what a great doctor he is! I've always wanted to meet him. I can't help but think how fulfilling his life must be since he's lucky enough to see patients successfully treated for parasomnias, and living brand new lives (without the old fears). Bed partners must really be appreciative!!!

I discovered today that my daughter stole his book, "Paradox Lost: Midnight in the Battleground of Sleep and Dreams" from my office to read. Boy, is she lucky Mom already read it....and she had better return it as well!

It was so refreshing -- Dr. Schenck spoke a lot about sleep technologists to me. He credits the success of diagnosing parasomnia patients to diligent sleep technologists that assist in the cause nationwide and abroad. Keep up the great work, Guys & Gals!

He talked about the potential for parasomnia comorbidities, and how important it is to keep vigilent when we have sleep apnea patients in our labs for sleep studies. He's so right! I remember some cases where an obstructive sleep apnea patient had some very loud outbursts and thrashing, pulling leads off and shouting while I was performing their sleep studies.

I know you all will enjoy listening to Dr. Schenck on the show Jan. 29th. He's a very informative presenter.

You know, we're approaching that National Sleep Foundation (NSF) National Sleep Awareness Week (NSAW) time of year again (I call it Sleep Holy Week #1- APSS is Sleep Holy Week #2). It's almost like you can feel it in the air if you're in the Sleep Community. All of my sleep friends are like kindred spirits ready to celebrate! Pretty soon, we'll start seeing sleep stories on local TV stations, and read it in every newspaper we pick up. And lest we not forget National Sleep Technologist Appreciation Week is usually right after! Be sure and show your gratitude to the tech, the foot soldiers in the quest for good sleep.

Maybe you want to jot these down:

NSAW 2007 - Save the Dates!

* National Sleep Awareness Week: March 5-11
* NSF Women & Sleep Workshop: March 5-6, JW Marriott Hotel, Washington, DC
* 7th Annual Night of a Thousand Dreams Gala: March 6, JW Marriott Hotel, Washington, DC


Until next time,

Be well, Sleep Well,
T

No comments: